Applying for the Grant of Probate, collecting and distributing the assets
Fees are charged at £200 plus VAT per hour.
All quoted prices exclude VAT. Unless otherwise stated, VAT will be charged at the current rate of 20%.
We would estimate our costs in administering a relatively straightforward estate (i.e. where there is a property and several bank accounts all in the UK) would be between £3,000 to £10,000.
The exact costs will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the low end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees.
|Affidavit fees (if required)||£5.00 plus £2.00 per exhibit No VAT|
|Probate court fees||£160.00 No VAT|
|Each copy of grant of probate||£1.50 No VAT|
|Bank Transfers (>£100,000.00)||£30.00 plus VAT|
|UK Bankruptcy Search||£2.00 No VAT|
|Adverts for Creditors||£150 to £350 plus VAT|
|Land Registry Office Copy Entry||£3.00 No VAT|
On average, a relatively straightforward estate can take between six to twelve months to conclude.
We will handle the full process for you. The quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than three bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no more than five beneficiaries
- There is no dispute between beneficiaries on the division of assets. If disputes arise, this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements; these are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, and will be:
- Probate Application fee: £215 (no vat applicable)
- Swearing an Oath per Executor: £7 (no vat applicable)
- Bankruptcy only; £4 per beneficiary (no vat applicable)
- Advert in the London Gazette: £75 to protect against unexpected claims from unknown creditors (excluding vat)
- Advert in the local newspaper: £225 to protect against unexpected claims (excluding vat)
Potential additional costs
If there is no Will or if the estate consists of any share-holding (stocks and shares), there are likely to be additional costs, which could vary significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
If additional copies of the Grant of Probate are required, they will cost £2 (one per asset usually)
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
Advice regarding tax planning is not included in this fee.
The work will be undertaken by Bhupendra Sankhla who is a Solicitor and a Director of this firm. He qualified as a solicitor in 1990 and has been in a senior management role for more than 15 years and has been with Appleby Shaw since 2012. He has over 25 years’ experience of private client work, specialising in Family Law and Wills and Probate.
*These prices on the website are indications only, based upon standard types of cases. Following the initial consultation with you, we will provide you with a quote/estimate, which will be contained in our client care letter. This figure will take precedence and is the price you will be required to pay.